Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Postcard from Memphis




Justin and I just returned from our first trip to Memphis and we loved it!
I had a book signing at the Woman's exchange of Memphis, the most delightful shop run entirely by volunteers.  They have a sewing room that is famous for it's darling baby clothes.  I bought this little outfit for my nephew for his Christmas Portrait.


After the signing, we checked in to the River Inn and watched the gorgeous sunset. 
It was breath-taking!
The entrance portico at Graceland.
On our second day, we went strait to Graceland. I must say that it exceeded my expectations!
The digital tour was incredibly well done and it was full of personal anecdotes and stories that really made the house come to life.

The dining room with it's antique mirrored top - I love this because I could always check my lipstick! ;)
A detail of Pricilla and Elvis Presley's wedding China. 
Downstairs in the tv room, the fireplace surround was mirrored when it was re-decorated in the 1970's.  I love that this look as come back!

The tour states that Elvis's mother designed the poodle wallpaper in her powder room.  
The best part of the tour?  Seeing Elvis use his "TCB" logo (I'll call it a monogram!) everywhere, even on his plane!  The plane is amazing!  It is a part of the tour and worth taking the time to walk through.  
After an amazing lunch at Central BBQ (THE BEST!!!), we went to the Gibson Guitar Center on the advice of my friend Pat Kerr Tigrett.  Pat organizes an amazing Blues Ball Fundraiser every year in Memphis that is the party of the year!  If you are not in Memphis during the Blues Ball, sign up for a tour of the Gibson Factory.  It was really neat to watch the workers in action. You do need to sign up in advance. They sell out! Also, shoot for a tour before 2pm because many of the workers head out.

Sun Stuidos
After a little bit of shopping in the Gibson Factory Store, we got the news that our flight was delayed due to weather so our charming host for the day, interior designer Ken Cummins whisked us off to Sun Studios for a great visit.  Their guide was so enthusiastic about the history of music in Memphis and told wonderful stories about the Million Dollar Quartet - Elvis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis.


Our favorite coffee shop and snack spot along the way as Cafe Eclectic.  It was charming and offered this little tidbit of advice on it's chalkboard. 


I'd love to hear about your favorite spots in Memphis!  Please leave a comment and let me know what you love about this amazing city!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by kelly christine studio